FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Prior to course:
- Complete the Application for Approval form, located in your building's main office, with principal’s signature and course description.
- Complete the Application for Initial Approval for Course Reimbursement form also located in your building's main office.
- Send completed forms to Central Office. Once approved by the Assistant Superintendent, forms will be returned to you to hold until the course is completed.
When the course is completed:
- Submit all forms back to Central Office for final approval.
- Please attach verification of course grade (3.0/B or higher) and proof of payment (Cc: statement, cancelled check).
All forms can be found in the main office at your school. Reimbursements are processed in June. All completed forms must be submitted by the first Friday in June to be accepted. Courses completed after the deadline will be processed the following school year.
Questions? Contact Lynn Leofanti at Central Office - email@example.com or 508.839.5421 ext. 1012
How Do I Make a Salary Change?
1. Write a letter to the Assistant Superintendent requesting the salary change and citing which degree has been conferred.
2. Complete the golden rod sheet (available at Central Office). Attach official transcript noting degree conferred and dates conferred. Attach yellow copy of all course approval forms (found in your personnel file at central office). If you need information from your personnel file, please make an appointment with Central Office. If going to Masters from B+15 the courses you will note are those you completed beyond the ones you used to get B+15.
3. The Asst. Superintendent will review packet submitted, if complete a letter will be generated to Employee, Personnel File & Payroll. Salary changes are only to be submitted twice a year by September 15 or February 1 As per the teacher contract.
**Please note: Courses taken either for reimbursement, salary credit or BOTH MUST be pre-approved by the Superintendent**
Questions? Contact Lynn Leofanti at Central Office - firstname.lastname@example.org or 508.839.5421 ext. 1023When an employee legally changes their name:
- The employee notifies the Human Resources Department and provides legal documentation (copy of marriage license, divorce decree).
- If the employee is a DESE licensed educator, the employee is responsible for contacting DESE to update their licensure: http://www.doe.mass.edu/licensure/academic-prek12/name-change.html
- The name change will be updated across all of our technology and payroll systems. A new badge with the updated name will be sent to the building.
Go to the website/Human Resource/Forms to find the current year W4 and M4. Consult with your tax accountant. Complete a W4 form for Federal Tax Withheld and a M4 form for Mass State tax withheld. Send the updated forms to Payroll.
Complete a direct deposit form and submit to payroll office.
Do I Have to Join the Union? Are There Fees If I Don’t?
Joining any union is not mandatory, however agency fees are charged for those employees that do not enroll. The union provides legal representation to its members.
What Happens If My Spouse Loses Health Insurance Coverage?
Loss of coverage is a qualifying event in which you can pick up coverage. You will need to provide a letter from the insurance company with your loss of coverage date. The enrollment forms are on the website. For family coverage, employees will have to provide a town marriage license and birth certificates of dependent children.
How Is Maternity Leave Calculated?
Maternity leave is calculated and started on the date of birth of the child. Maternity leave is 8 weeks and sick time is used for actual work days. Any additional work days requested are unpaid at your daily rate. Daily rate is your annual salary/number of work days. Example: Salary of 50,000.00. A daily rate is 50,000/186 = 268.82. A salary is calculated over 26 pay periods. August – June is 22 pays with a lump sum of 4 pays paid at the end of the school year. Based on when the maternity leave is taken salary is paid out to the last work day owed and the unpaid days start. The salary is then shut off until the employee returns and can then be recalculated based upon the number of days left in the school year.
How Do I Request a Leave of Absence?
A letter of request through your chain of command needs to be made. Based upon the request it will be determined if the request meets the regulations of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
My Id Badge Is Not Working/Lost/Damaged...
Please email Tony LeMay and explain what the issue is that needs to be remedied.
What Is a Cafeteria or Flex Spending Account?
The website under flexible spending describes this very well. While lowering your taxable income, it also allows medical expenses to be tax deductible and flexible by having the yearly allotted amount on one card for use up front. The elected amount is deducted over the pay periods during the fiscal year. The IRS allows a maximum of 2550.00 per year.
Why Is My W2 Income Different than My Status Letter Salary?
Your salary is for the fiscal year from July – June. Your W2 is for the calendar year from Jan – Dec.
What Are the Deductions in My Paycheck?
Medical and Dental deductions are not deducted if there is a third paycheck in one month.
FITW - Federal tax withholding
MA - Mass State tax withholding
MED - Medicare
A/Fee - Agency Fee
AACC - Aflac Accident Insurance
ACAN - Aflac Cancer Insurance
Add2% - Additional 2% for Worcester Regional Retirement
AFACC - American Fidelity Accident Insurance
AFCan - American Fidelity Cancer Insurance
AFLTD - American Fidelity Long Term Disability
ALife - Aflac Life Insurance
Alt16 - Altus Dental August/September insurance
xxx16 - Health insurance August/September insurance
AltAF - Altus A Family
AltAI - Altus A Individual
AltBF - Altus B Family
AltBI - Altus B Individual
APREM - Altus Premium Rider
ASTD - Aflac Short Term Disability
Col D - Colonial Short Term Disability
CS or CSup - Child Support/ Garnishment
CuDue - Custodial Dues
DFLEX - Dependent Flex Account
DOR - Department of Revenue Garnishment
FalDF - Fallon Direct Family
FalDI - Fallon Direct Individual
FalSF - Fallon Select Family
FalSI - Fallon Select Individual
FCrit - American Fidelity Critical Insurance
FLEX - Flexible Spending
GTL - Boston Mutual Group Term Life
GW - Great West 457 tax deferred plan
HHMOF - Harvard HMO Family
HHMOI - Harvard HMO Individual
HNEF - Health New England Family
HNEI - Health New England Individual
HPPOF - Harvard PPO Family
HPPOI - Harvard PPO Individual
ICMAO - ICMARC Tax deferred 457 plan
Levy - Garnishment
LTD - Boston Mutual Long Term Disability
MTN2% - Additional 2% Mass Teachers Retirement
MTN - MTR pension Mass Teachers Retirement
NYLife - New York Life Insurance
Pens - Worcester Regional Retirement
SupDu - Support Union Dues
TAN - 403b deduction codes
TDues - Teacher’s Union Dues
TuftF - Tufts Navigator Family
TuftI - Tufts Navigator Individual
VLife - Boston Mutual Voluntary Life Insurance