Substitute Teaching In Grafton Public Schools

  • Grafton Public Schools are always looking for qualified substitute teachers.  In Grafton, substitute teaching candidates must be at least 18 years of age and hold a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.  Schools call in substitutes whenever full-time employees get sick, travel or take personal time.  

    Every substitute teaching job is different.  Sometimes you'll simply look after a class while students complete an assignment that their regular teacher left for them.  Other days you will follow a detailed lesson plan.  As an Instructional Aide (IA) or Behavioral Learning Assistant (BLA) substitute, you might work with a single student or a small group of students to help them accomplish their assignments for the day.  The only consistent thing about substitute teaching is that every day is different.

    To become a substitute in Grafton, please complete the following steps:

    Complete the Employee Information Sheet.

    Complete Fingerprinting:    Per the Commonwealth of MA, all public schools employees must be fingerprinted.  Please follow the instructions on the Fingerprint Memo to complete the fingerprint requirement.  

    If you have been fingerprinted for another district, please contact the Human Resources Department in that district to request a Suitability Letter.  Ask for the letter to be sent to the attention of Kristen Gasper, contact information is at the bottom of this page.

    Complete the following payroll paperwork:

    W4  Form W4 is completed by employees so the employer can withhold the correct federal income tax from the employee's pay.

    M4  Form M4 allows an employee to specify the number of exemptions and optionally, an additional amount to be withheld from his/her paycheck for Massachusetts State Tax.  The Form M4 is required of all new employees so that withholding amounts ay be deducted from payroll correctly.

    I-9  Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.  This includes citizens and noncitizens.  All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual that they hire for employment in the United States.  Both employees and employers (or authorized representatives of the employer) must complete the form.  On the form, an employee must attest to his or her employment authorization.  The employee must also present the employer with acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization.

    Direct Deposit Form  Direct deposit is mandatory for all substitute employees.  If you do not have checks, please contact your bank to request Transit / Routing Information.

    ICMA Enrollment   Public employees in Massachusetts are not covered by Social Security.  ICMA-RC manages and administers retirement plans exclusively for the benefit of public sector employers and employees.  Enrollment in ICMA is mandatory for substitute teachers in Grafton. 

    Review the Substitute Teaching Handbook

    When the above paperwork is complete, please contact Kristen Gasper to schedule an appointment to meet with someone in the Human Resources Department for brief interview and overview.  You will bring all of the above paperwork with you, along with two forms of identification to complete the I-9 form and the CORI check which is an additional background check that is required by our district.

    Kristen Gasper, Director of Human Resources

    508.839.7618 (F)  508.839.5421 ext. 1070